Network security is a critical component of all computer systems and infrastructure. CATS Technology remains committed to providing the highest level of service in the industry to ensure that your network security remains top notch. Proper network security is comprised of many areas. One level of proper network security is having a strong antivirus system in place and up to date. Every day, malicious individuals and groups release complex malware, viruses, and Trojans with a goal of spreading system infections. A new type of infection has also recently begun spreading called “ransomware”. In some recent cases, infected systems have had all of their files maliciously encrypted with the decryption key being held at ransom for multiple hundreds of dollars. Having a strong antivirus system is an important piece of the network security puzzle. Another key component is ensuring that you have secure backups of your systems that remain up to date on a minimum of a daily basis.
If you are using UltimateCare service from CATS Technology, you can rest assured knowing that we proactively monitor your antivirus state and check the status of your backups on a daily basis to ensure that they both remain current. If issues arise, we work to resolve them right away to keep them from turning into problems. Not an UltimateCare subscriber? Email us at Sales@CATSTechnology.com or call us at 732-204-7100 to setup a consultation and analysis.
While we all dream of a world free from malicious activity, the reality is that these threats will always exist. Having the proper network-level precautions in place is a step in the right direction. But unfortunately, system infections can still find their way into networks in the event of improper internet usage.
The following are just some of the guidelines that all users should abide by to keep their systems as clean as possible.
- If a suspicious email gets delivered to your inbox, delete it immediately and do not open.
- Never open email attachments that you were not expecting to receive. This includes attachments in emails from known senders. If a colleague’s email system has been compromised, their account could get used to send virus-ridden attachments. If you are unsure whether an attachment is legitimate or not, you should contact the sender directly prior to opening.
- Never install a new application or plugin on your computer without consulting with an IT expert to ensure that it is a legitimate piece of software.
- Never download software or files from shared file hosting sites or torrents. Always download content from the original source and consult with an IT expert prior. Software found on bad sites can be modified to include malware. Software costs substantial money to make so if downloading it for free sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Never click advertisements or banners on websites and search engines. In some cases, malicious groups pay to get space rented on sites that they use to advertise innocent-looking software that is actually coded with viruses.
CATS Technology is available to assist you whenever help is needed. If you ever suspect that your systems might be vulnerable to an attack or just simply have a question that you’d like answered in order to strengthen your browsing security, please do not hesitate to speak with one of our trained IT professionals at 732-204-7100 or email us at Support@CATSTechnology.com.